Monday, May 17, 2010

1st Shadow Box in Progress!

Here is a wip that I just started.  I have done light up scenes in clocks before, but they have not been true 1/12 scale.  Thanks again to Kate with Whittaker's Miniatures, who has been helping me out greatly, I have decided to try a miniature scale display.  I had found this shadow box a while back and thought it would make a fun old witch room.  It actually had a scene in it when I got it, but I ripped everything out except what you see below.  I would have shown the real before pic but Kate is using the other pieces and I don't want to spoil what she is doing.  The box does hang on the wall and has a frame and glass.   
Photobucket

I started by taking some spackle that I found in our garage and brushed it on the walls to give it a rough look.  Kind of made a mess of things.  Oops!

Photobucket

I had found a bag of popsicle sticks at the hobby store and used them to make the floor.  I just cut the ends off and then cut them into different sizes.  I used painters tape once I had it all layed out to keep them all together so I could paint.  I can't glue the floor down into the room yet because I am planning on adding lights and I'm not sure yet where the wires are going.  Don't know why this pic turned out so yellow.

Photobucket

The next pic shows the walls painted an antique white and then aged and the floor has been stained.  I did not have real stain, so I used brown acrylic paint mixed with an antique/staining medium, then dry brushed some black around to make it look older. 

Photobucket

The last pic shows the 2 pieces that I kept, of course I still need to add to them, and the start of the fireplace.  My plans are having the embers in the fireplace light up and a cauldron inside that also lights up.  I also want to add a window and some more shelves with bottles, books and other witchy things.  I am hoping to even make a witch doll to go in it.     

Photobucket

I will post more on this box soon after I get the fireplace figured out!

10 comments:

Gourdqueen said...

This is fun and so cool!! Please keep sharing!
Gourdie

Ascension said...

Te esta quedando genial, me encanta!!!!
Yo tambien estoy haciendo una escena de bruja, muy particular.
He ehcho un fantasma y una mesa de mancias, de momento.
besitos ascension

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

Jodie you just know Im going to love this!!! Looks amazing already and with all your goodies to go in and the lights it will be wicked!!
have fun, glad your getting the mini bug!! Your parcel should be with you soon as Jody the other winner has got hers so fingers crossed! Kate xxxx

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

Der I meant Jamie of course, sorry had just got the email from Jody re her parcel, just ignore me Im getting old lol!!! xxx

Tiffany (aka: mieljolie) said...

Looks like a cool project! It's going to be fun watching its progress.

Mieljolie

The Frog Queen said...

Lookiing positively smashing my dear. Can hardly wait to see the finished piece!!

Cheers!

Designs By CK said...

FUN & creative concept! I would never have thought of using popsicle sticks for wood flooring! LOL '-P)

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Have a great & creative week!

CK :-)

XOXO

Zan Asha said...

Wow, cool stuff! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Brenda LaBell said...

Ooooo what a great idea and I can't wait to see it finished!!

JFolk said...

It is looking great! keep going, can't wait to see more! I love halloween and witches!
mini hugs
Jaime

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails